Bag ’n Hand Food Pantry
“For I was hungry, and you gave me food.” — Matthew 25:35
Bag ’n Hand Food Pantry, located at St. John’s United Methodist Church, 1200 Old Pecos Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87505. We are an outreach ministry of St. John’s, operated by volunteers. We are a partner agency of The Food Depot of Santa Fe and one of the largest food pantries in northern New Mexico. Please contact us via email or through the church office at (505) 982-5397.
Mission Statement: Our mission is to regularly provide fresh produce and packaged food in a friendly and caring environment to hungry people in the Santa Fe community.
Whom do we serve? Volunteers distribute much-needed groceries every Tuesday to approximately 170 households that meet generous eligibility guidelines. These households represent about 400 individuals with 25% children and 30% seniors.
How do we distribute food? We use a drive-through distribution method on a first-come, first-served basis in the north parking lot of St. John’s church. We begin at 10:00 a.m. and end at noon. Clients enter St. John’s north parking lot from Barcelona street and proceed to the tables where boxes of food are loaded into the back of the vehicle.
We ask clients to follow the directions of the traffic managers, to wear face masks, and to stay in the car for the entire visit. The first time that clients come to the pantry, they must complete a registration process and present a government-issued photo ID. Clients arriving early park along Barcelona facing Old Pecos Trail. Please do not block a driveway entrance or exit.
How do we get the food?
- As a partner agency, the Food Depot provides commodities and local-grocery-store gleanings and allows us to purchase food at a discount. We also purchase food directly from local groceries.
- Food is donated by individuals, faith communities, and community organizations.
- Funding is provided by financial donations by the St. John’s congregation, the Santa Fe faith community, and the community at large.
- Additional support comes as a grant from Santa Fe Community Foundation.
How can I financially support the Pantry?
To donate to the Bag ’N Hand Pantry:
- Go to http://www.sjumcsantafe.org/give-online/.
- Click the Donate button.
- Enter an amount.
- Click the down arrow on the drop-down menu (… Use this donation for), and select Bag~N~Hand Food Pantry.
- Select a way to donate and enter the information requested.
If you are a client, click here.
If you are interested in volunteering, click here.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. To see the USDA Nondiscrimination Statement, click here.