Farewell & Welcome Events
A note from Karen Wells, chair, SPR:
A Farewell event for Brad and Jayne and a Welcome event for Kathryn
We would like to invite you to two special events that will allow us to both say farewell to Brad and Jayne, and to warmly welcome Kathryn Boren, our new pastor. Following the rules of social distancing, the wearing of masks, and the Governor’s decision to allow gatherings in churches at 25% of the capacity of the church, we feel these two brief events will be both safe and meaningful.
On June 21, Brad’s last Sunday with us, we will hold a brief service of blessing and a farewell liturgy in our sanctuary at 2:00 p.m. to be followed immediately by a social gathering in various locations in the church and on the patio. There will be no congregational singing; however, there will be a presentation of our newly constructed virtual choir. We’d like to encourage anyone wishing to give a tangible tribute to Brad and Jayne to consider recording a brief video expressing your sentiments. These video expressions of appreciation should be emailed to Fred Graham at email@example.com or texted to him at (501) 351-2662. Our staff will include them in a video presentation as part of this service.
Here’s how it will work:
- Make a reservation by calling the church office at (505) 982-5397 or by emailing Administrative Assistant Kim Rael at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arrive at the church early, no later than 1:45 p.m.
- An usher will escort you to a seat and give you a colored card. Family units may sit together; others must sit at least 6 feet apart.
- Following the brief service, proceed to the part of the church that corresponds to the color of your card – either the gathering room, fellowship hall, the choir room or the patio – always maintaining six feet distance between people.
- On the way into your assigned reception area, there will be a box to receive cards expressing your personal sentiments to Brad and Jayne.
- Tables will be arranged at the appropriate distances; please do not rearrange tables or chairs.
- Wear your mask at all times.
During this reception time, Brad and Jayne will circulate through each of the gathering areas to greet and visit with attendees (properly distanced, and wearing masks, of course).
The very next week, June 28 (Rev. Boren’s first Sunday with us), we will have a similar service of blessing and liturgy to welcome Kathryn and to meet her in person at the reception to follow. All previously outlined rules and directions will apply. Additionally, Kathryn will be arriving at the parsonage on Wednesday, June 24, sometime late in the day. We would like to try to stock her pantry as a welcome, so that she doesn’t have to immediately make a trip to a grocery store. If you would like to contribute to this welcome effort, please call Kim Rael at (505) 982-5397 or e-mail Kim at email@example.com, and she will advise you about what food items are needed. Drop them off at the church and we will arrange to have them in the parsonage upon Kathryn’s arrival.